Daytripper bag


Front of bag (two large pockets)
Back of bag
Still in my bag-making phase, so my next project was Daytripper Bag by Erin Erickson. I've made her Two-Hip Zipster and I was really pleased with her designing skills and directions.

Interior stuffed full of things
I used Amy Butler Paradise Garden in Midnight (LOVE this fabric) for the exterior, and Pat Bravo Nature Elements in Lime for the interior. I had heard of ByAnnie's Soft & Stable as a good stabilizer for bags, so I wanted to try it for this bag.

Three pockets
I spoke with Erin (the designer) about using Soft & Stable inside the bag. She had used it before and recommended that I substitute the batting and sew-in interfacing with the Soft & Stable. That is really a nice advantage when you buy a pattern from a small designer. It is often very easy to contact the designer and ask lots of questions. They tend to be incredibly friendly and helpful.

Look, I remembered to add my label!
Loved the way the bag turned out. I think it's the best bag I've made so far. I think my ongoing experience is definitely starting to show now. I've realized that a good hot iron is really your friend and often fixes lots of mistakes, plus it makes sewing much easier. I'm also very happy with the Soft & Stable. I think I'd use this again in the bags I make.

Added purse feet to the bottom of the bag
I made a couple of small modifications. There are a line of pockets on one side of the bag, the other side is empty to be customized anyway you want. I added a smaller line of pockets and a shallow zipped interior pocket on that side. I also added purse feet to the bottom of the bag. If I made this bag again and wanted to make it slightly bigger, I would increase the width of the side gussets by 2-3 inches. It would add extra depth without any extra height.

Zippered pocket and shallow set of pockets
Shallow zippered pocket perfect for usb stick and keys
I am extremely happy with this bag and the bag size. It holds a fair bit of stuff and the back zippered pocket easily holds an ipad and/or kindle. the strap is nice and long (but adjustable) so I can wear it cross-body or as a shoulder strap.

Back zippered pocket easily holds iPad and Kindle

Comments

Cindy said…
Great work! It looks like it has a really nice flexible/firm shape. I'm going to have to pick up some of the soft and stable for my own projects.
Nic said…
Great bag. Am not surprised you're happy with it
Unknown said…
I love your fabric choices! You lined up everything so well, too!

This is the next pattern of Erin's on my wish list!