Yet another new skill

A few weeks ago, we attended a friend's BBQ/Housewarming party at his new home.  They had custom-built the home and it had a lot of really great features, including huge picture windows, wire cabling for stair rails, a very open first floor plan, and a single basin kitchen sink.

The sink really caught my attention and I thought it was the coolest thing.  We have a double basin sink which probably comes in handy for those who like to have a soapy area and clean water area but we usually soap and rinse at the same time.  If anything, the double basin is more annoying than helpful since the divider makes it difficult to fill large pots, clean baking sheets, and often causes me to spill water everywhere if I'm washing large items.

Our old kitchen sink
Mike and I talked about it and decided since we needed to replace the kitchen faucet (it had been leaking for a while and replacing the washer and o-ring didn't seem to help), we decided to indulge in a new kitchen sink too.  I found a great looking single basin sink at Lowes that got some very good reviews.  It's made of composite granite and many reviewers stated it didn't chip, stain, or scratch.

After removing the sink
We bought the sink and faucet and decided to install it ourselves that upcoming weekend.  The internet (the Google is great) stated it's much easier to install the faucet before placing the sink into the counter so on friday morning I decided to at least attach the new faucet before saturday.  That only took about ten minutes.  Once finished, I got really antsy and decided to just finish the install completely.
New sink sitting on top of the drain loop
I unhooked all the plumbing, removed the old sink (hardest part of the job since it was cast-iron), and placed the new sink into the countertop.  Then I ran into a snag.  The new sink is about an inch deeper than the old sink.  That meant the drain loop was too high and the sink wouldn't sit flush.  I had to make another trip to Lowes and pick up some pvc and cement.  Hack-sawed the old pipe, fitted the correct new length and cemented it all together.  The rest of the work was cake.  I had to buy new piping since we were going from two drains to one and the location of the new drain was different but that was relatively simple.  Putting the garbage disposal back and reattaching the dishwasher drain was also quite simple.  Caulked everything and crossed my fingers.

This is when naughty words came out of my mouth

Once the caulk dried, I ran the sink and there didn't appear to be any leaks.  It's now been two weeks, the dishwasher and disposal has run successfully, the drain doesn't leak, and I am absolutely thrilled with the new sink and faucet.