Too many consoles, so little time

Video games are insidious, evil, and totally addictive. We got the xbox 360 a couple of weeks ago (bought from a friend for cheap) so we now have all three game consoles in this house (we are such kids!). The good thing is my friend also has tons of xbox games so he loaned a few to us to start out with. In the few weeks we've been playing I've learned a few things about the various consoles.

The Wii is a great family console with some very fun games but nothing too serious. Zelda is a nice launch title and they did finally release Metroid Prime 3: Corruption on tuesday but most Wii games are cutsy and fun and the graphics are average.

The PS3 has really nice graphics and we like it as a blue-ray high definition dvd & network player. Unfortunately since it's only been out for a short while there aren't a lot of good games yet. I have really enjoyed Ninja Gaiden Sigma for the PS3 and Super Stardust (a downloadable arcade game) but no other games have really caught my attention.

The Xbox has been out a year longer than the other consoles so there are a lot more games out for it. Plus the Xbox does a fantastic job of online play with a web interface. Most of the games have online play ability and all games have achievement points you unlock as you progress through the games. This score is part of your gamer tag (name). This is a fantastic way to sticky a player to the xbox since you want to increase your gamer score so you continue to play games on the xbox.

The PS3 and Wii are supposed to have online play ability but doesn't even compare to the current capabilities of the xbox.

I like the Wii controls--more simplified, less buttons, easier to use. I'm also a huge fan of Metroid Prime and I'm hoping they create a Pikmin 3 in the near future. I'm very disappointed with the online abilities of the Wii and wish there were more games out there that I liked.

I would consider the PS3 and Xbox similar-type consoles--more RPG, sports, action, horror games--but the xbox is far advanced in games and online play than the PS3.

If I only had a choice of one console, I think I would have to choose the xbox over the other two (with Wii as a close second). That's saying a lot as I've always been a huge nintendo console/handheld fan.

Comments