The problem with high ceilings...

is that most of the stuff attached to the ceilings tend to be high too. Specifically the chandelier, second floor windows, recessed lights, and the fan have been the bane of my existence. We've been in the house for over 8 years now and we've never cleaned the chandelier in the foyer or fan in the family room and over the years I've watched dust accumulate on these two items till it really really bugged me. So I finally rented a 12-ft scaffolding for a week and cleaned the suckers up!


The chandelier was definitely a challenge since it had over 1600 separate pieces that I had to remove, clean, and replace back on the chandelier; however only 4 of the 38 bulbs were burned out. The chandelier alone took me 4 days to complete but I'm ecstastic at how clean and sparkly it is now (yeah, I get excited about the weirdest things).


The ceiling fan was a LOT easier since I just removed the blades and washed them outside. Our ceiling fan in the family room was the largest we could find and is made of fishing rods and cloth so the dust really sticks to it; very noticeable since the cloth is off-white. While I had the scaffolding, I washed the second floor windows in the family room too since it was about time. I usually wash those things about every 2 years but I have to use the extension ladder and it's quite cumbersome.


And one last picture to post of some blackwork I've been working on last week. This is Jardin d'Amour by Papillon Creations. The design is inspired by the garden of the same name in France.

Comments

Nic said…
Oh wow! (well, what I said aloud was slightly stronger ;)) 1600 pieces! I love your high ceilings but I must say there is no way you'd catch me up on scaffolding like that, let alone to clean 1600 pieces of a chandalier. I'd just be lazy and hire people in with that scaffolding, or decide that dust and cobwebs are 'in'. So I am bowing to your amazing feat
Nic said…
I was so awed by the high ceilings and things, I forgot to comment on your stitching. Looks great! That your own colour combo or are you going by the chart's ones?
Pablo said…
Holy crap! Hardcore.
timojhen said…
agree with Pablo! I feel like a champion if I vacuum or clean the kids toys in the basement! I'm humbled!
OMG....I certainly hope you are not afraid of heights! Just thinking about it makes me dizzy...Kudos to you for tackling those cobwebs and dust!
Love the progress you have made with your stitching...just lovely!
Branlaadee said…
Kathie, you are crazy going up on that scaffolding!! LOL

Jardin d'Amour looks beautiful!