Ok, so this is gonna be a bit graphic about infections and stuff so I'm giving you fair warning. If you're squeamish stop reading now!
Last friday I had to get an old root canal retreated since it had gotten infected. The endontologist went back in and packed it full of meds. She said it looked pretty infected and gave me some antibiotics. She also warned me that with the change in environment (the dental work, added oxygen, etc) the bacteria may go a bit nuts and multiply. She wasn't wrong! After the Novocaine wore off, I felt some aches and pain but it really didn't start hurting until saturday and my left cheek and gums starting to swell. By Sunday, I had upped my Motrin from 2 to 3 to 4 pills and it was still just taking the edge off the pain. I gave in and called the endontologist on Sunday. She switched my antibiotics to a stronger type and called in a prescription painkiller (a very very mild narcotic).
In the past I haven't done well with any products containing codeine/narcotics. Darvocet (what she prescribed) didn't appear to have codeine and it's supposed to be an extremely mild narcotic so I figured I'd chance it since the motrin wasn't eliminating the pain. That was a very bad decision on my part, I ended up extremely nauseous and in the bathroom for about 4 hrs until the meds left my system. NO MORE NARCOTICS FOR ME.....EVER! I switched to motrin and hoped for the best.
Monday morning I saw her again. She said the infection hadn't localized so she couldn't drain it. She doubled my antibiotic dosage and gave me prescription ibuprofen. The antibiotics are finally doing their thing; I no longer look like I'm chewing on a golf ball and the pain is finally eliminated when I take the meds. I see her again on wednesday but I think the infection is finally under control.
Unfortunately I had already scheduled my PMP exam for next monday 2/25. I was torn on whether to postpone the exam or just study through this week. Studying won out, I'm so darn tired of waiting to take the exam and studying that I decided to just get it done. If the pain became problematic, I could always postpone the exam up to 48 hours before Monday.
It's been a doozy of a week so far and it's only tuesday!!